Free School Meals
What is happening this year, 2023-24?
For the school year, September 2023 to July 2024, all children in London Primary schools in Reception to Year 6 will receive a free school meal funded by the office of the London Mayor.
What happened before September 2023?
Since September 2014, all children in Reception and KS1 receive a free school meal. These have proved extremely popular and ensure that all children, who choose to, can have a hot meal mid-day. When children move to KS2 (Year 3) school meals need to be paid for. If you are eligible for free school meals, please apply using the link on the page below. If your child is in KS1, we ask that you still apply if you qualify as this helps the school receive more funding which in turn is used to support your child.
If you receive benefits your child will be eligible for free school meals if they:
- attend a Brent primary school
- attend a Brent secondary school
- go to sixth form in Brent
- have a full-time place at a nursery attached to a Brent school.
The qualifying benefits are:
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), that does not exceed £16,190
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on-paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
For more information or to apply, click here - https://www.brent.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals